Sunday, August 8, 2010

Friday Recap

Parents and Players,

Just a reminder to print the "Pre-Season Information Letter" to the right of this post under the "Links" section. I just wanted to recap on a few things from Friday's BBQ before we start the season:

1. Communication is key!!!! In terms of our communication regarding some concerns parents may have throughout the season, we will do this the "old school" way. Meaning, our discussions will not be drawn out through multiple emails where the tone and/or message trying to be delivered can be misinterpreted. Rather, if you have a serious concern regarding the program or possible issues with a particular coaching style, all you simply need to do is send me an email stating you would like to set up a meeting with me. I will be more than happy to schedule a meeting where we can meet face-to-face and solve any type of issue in a civilized manner. Sending a long, drawn out email with a condescending tone only sends the wrong message and prolongs the problem solving process. I've truly enjoyed the email exchanges we have had up to this point. All of you have kept me well informed of different vacations, illnesses, etc, etc... Please continue to send me questions or "heads-up" emails we don't necessarily need a face to face discussion in order to get the answers we need.

2. The "24 Hour Rule." If at any point throughout the season, particularly after a game you become frustrated with the lack of playing time your son may be receiving, please do not approach any coach after a game to discuss such matters. Rather, send me an email that you would like to discuss something with me, and are applying the 24 Hour Rule to the discussion. I will then set up a meeting to discuss the issue after 24 hours of receiving the email. Most coaches in the state do not even allow this to happen, but I'd rather make sure all of us are always on the same page.

3. Belonging to this team is a journey of development. I would hate to lose an individual after their freshman year because they did not receive the playing time they felt they deserved. If at any point throughout the season this may happen, I am more than willing to discuss the expectations that we have for each individual in this program, and take a more realistic look at their abilities at that particular point. I will always provide the appropriate guidance to help them become the most successful football player they can become in this program. Remember, it's not how you start, but how you finish that counts the most.

I'm truly looking forward to a great season where all of us feel a part of the great things to come for Troy Athens Football. Your support and dedication to the success of these young men has been incredible. Remember, my door is always open. In order for us to create a true family feel to this program, we must make sure that all of us feel we play a part in the success of all these young men. No matter what happens, please continue to support and encourage every single young man dedicating his time to the success of his teammates.

Take Care and Go Red Hawks!!!!

Coach Heppner

No comments: