Wednesday, July 20, 2011

It's Great to Be a Red Hawk / Skill and Drill Change for 7-20-11 to 7-21-11

Parents and Players,

I can't tell you how great it felt to be representing my Red Hawks back in my home town of Marshall, MI these last two days. As you know, Shawn and Kathleen Loughrige lost their son Issac two years ago to H1N1 complications. Because Issac was such a giving person, they started the "I've Got Your Backs" foundation in honor of their son. For those of you who haven't been able to take a look at the foundation yet, can check them out at www.ivegotyourbacks.org. I was blessed to have joined them the last two days and help run their 2nd Annual I've Got Your Backs Football Camp. Our first camp was held on Monday in Marshall, and the second camp was held on Tuesday in Battle Creek. I have to tell you, both camps ran like a finely tuned machine and the campers truly enjoyed themselves. What was more exciting was to now be sharing the same field with some of the best coaches and mentors I had growing up over the years, as a coach myself. The traditions and memories I had walking onto that field, are the inspiring memories I wish to give to your sons as they journey through their high school career. We had over 230 participants both days at each location. There is nothing better than seeing young men from 3rd to 9th grade thoroughly enjoying themselves on a football field. We had several campers that signed up for the Tuesday camp in Battle Creek, simply because they had such a great time in Marshall on Monday and were hungry for more. I think the most important aspect is the fact that I had multiple parents and campers coming up to me after each camp saying, "Troy Athens huh?" "Man I can't wait to see what you boys do over there on the east side this year."

Neither can I!!!!!!! Neither . . . Can . . . I!!!!! I'm so jacked out of my mind right now I can't even think straight. With total buy-in to this program, year three should be the year that we - this Troy Athens Football Family - start seeing some serious results!!!

The Varsity 7-on-7 that was scheduled for Thursday, July 21st at Dakota High School has been cancelled. To ensure that all of my staff is able to attend the Skill and Drill session for this week, I am moving tomorrow nights session to Thursday. The freshman will still report at 6:00 pm, while the rest of the team reports at 6:45. Thank you for making this adjustment.

Also, just to clarify; we will still have the players attend all lifting sessions the mornings before the Troy Sports Camp. It is not too late to register for the camp if you haven't already done so. The Varsity participants who are attending the 1 Day 7-on-7/Big Man Camp in Cincinnati will still need to register for the Troy Sports Camp as well. Next week - during the Troy Sports Camp - is our last big push before we test, register, and get this thing rolling in high gear. Therefore, it is vital that we take advantage of all training sessions before we start 2-A-Days.

I'm excited to get back and see my boys on Wednesday. This summer is shaping up to be a very promising season. Thanks for your support.

Coach Heppner

No comments: